Inquiry: The ‘A’ in Steam: Fibonacci

This post is for anyone out there who sighs and rolls their eyes when it comes time for math class. I used to be that person too until I figured out the various ways that I need to connect with content in order to learn it. And for me that just happens to be through art. If you are anything like me, then you need your math to be infused with pictures, doodles and lots and lots of colour.

β† β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β†ž

This post is going to show how easy it is to incorporate art into your core subjects using s.t.e.a.m. The cool thing about s.t.e.a.m lessons is that they are the uniting of two otherwise differing subjects into one. These types of lessons find a connector or a through line that fits with both subjects content and competencies.Today we are going to deep dive into the realm of number patterns, specifically the Fibonacci pattern because believe it or not, it connects really well with art! I am going to walk you through how to make algebra cool! Okay, okay, hear me out. Although number patterns are the precursor for algebra and that in itself sends students running for the door, they don’t have to be as scary as they seem. Let me walk you through it.

First, ease them in by showing them a video – easy peasy. Here are some of my favs:

The Fibonacci sequence: Nature’s Code

Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [1 of 3]

I love the Doodling in Math especially for how creative she is with her doodles! Very inspiring. She also demonstrates how to find the fibonacci on nature items found in nature.

Then walk them through the lesson.

Photo byΒ Giulia MayΒ onΒ Unsplash

Photo byΒ Paul MilasanΒ onΒ Unsplash

« »